Clive Richardson Ltd was appointed to carry out the reconstruction of the pitch at the Metalist Stadium in Karkiv, Ukraine. The stadium was to be one of the eight host venues for the UFEA Euro 2012 tournament which was to be staged in Poland and Ukraine during June and July 2012.
The scheme involved the removal of the existing pitch, earthworks and civil engineering to provide a new pitch surface. Works undertaken by CRL included:
- Removal of the existing rootzone and stockpile
- Grading of sub-base and laser test to ensure desired levels
- Installation of drainage system
- Installation of under pitch heating system
- Installation of ISSASS Sub-air System
- Installation of irrigation system
- Import gravel layer and spread and grade on pitch area
- Import and spread upper rootzone material and laser grade to high finish
- Allow for all firming and cultivations
- Seeding of the pitch and application of fertilizers
- Desso hybrid stitching
The under pitch heating, sub-air and irrigation systems were all independently tested to ensure that they performed to the required standards. And the pitch was also tested to the required FIFA and UFEA levels required of a UFEA Euro 2012 host venue pitch.
The project was the recipient of the top award at the 2012 Association of Landscape Contractors in Ireland Awards, the Bog Oak Trophy. This award is presented to a project that truly demonstrates excellent standards of workmanship in landscaping construction. The project was also the winner of the Sportsgrounds category at the same awards ceremony.