Clive Richardson Limited have been carrying out the maintenance of the Football Association of Ireland’s National Training Centre at the National Sports Campus in Abbotstown, Dublin since it first opened in 2016. The National Training Centre, which was constructed by CRL, boasts the following facilities:
- Two full-sized floodlit fibresand pitches with full irrigation systems and associated spectator and ballstop fencing.
- A floodlit fibresand goal keeper training area with full irrigation system and associated ballstop fencing.
- Three full-sized floodlit sand-dressed pitches with full irrigation systems and associated spectator and ballstop fencing.
- A floodlit FIFA 2 Star synthetic pitch with associated spectator and ballstop fencing.
- A network of access roads and reinforced pedestrian pathways across the site with associated street lighting.
- Storage sheds
Clive Richardson Limited undertake the maintenance of the entire facility with staff members working full time at the National Training Centre. The following elements are included in the specification agreed with the FAI for the maintenance of the pitches:
- The supply of staff & equipment within the National Training Centre.
- All pitch maintenance for the grass pitches and synthetic pitch including cutting and pitch markings.
- Preparation of the pitches for all matches and team training sessions.
- Divoting and post-match repairs.
- Supply of pitch staff to agreed levels for all events including domestic/international football and any other events requiring use of the pitch.
- All seasonal and periodic pitch renovations.
- Supply of all equipment and chemicals/treatments for the pitches.
- Regular consultancy reports for the pitches to ensure the long term protection of the playing surfaces.
- General upkeep of all of the non-pitch facilities.
CRL carry out an intensive programme of maintenance to ensure that the pitch surfaces are maintained in a top condition all year round. The pitches have individualised maintenance programs carried out on a rotational basis, based around their usage by all of the FAI’s national teams from seniors to underage. The pitches are currently in use for 46 weeks per year.
2017/18 proved to be a particularly challenging season given the harsh winter experienced across the Dublin area with record snowfall, followed by the sustained period of dry and hot weather. CRL staff worked tirelessly to ensure that the facility was maintained in top class condition throughout the year.
The 2018/19 season started off in difficult fashion following the record period of hot weather during the summer months. Staff worked intensively to ensure that pitch surfaces were maintained in top condition throughout the season. The facility also hosted training sessions for the 2019 UEFA European Under-17 Championship participant teams during the tournament which ran from 3-19 May 2019.
The facility has also been used on an increasing basis for other non-football activities and was also host to the Special Olympics Ireland Games from 14-17 June 2018 with over 1600 athletes from around the country taking part.
CRL’s work was recognised with a Merit Award in the Commercial Maintenance Section at the 2017 ALCI Landscape Awards, and the continued standard of the work was further recognised when winning the same category in both the 2018/19 and 2019 awards.
Case Study Award
Awards Name: 2018/19 ALCI Landscape Awards
Category: Commercial Maintenance
Award Level: Winner
Project: Maintenance of FAI National Training Centre, Abbotstown, DublinView Case Study