Clive Richardson Limited were appointed to construct Cricket Ireland’s High Performance Centre at the Sport Ireland Campus in Abbotstown, Dublin. The project was the first major project undertaken by Cricket Ireland following it’s elevation to become a Full ICC Member and Test Playing Nation. The High Performance Centre formed a key part of its development strategy for the game in Ireland.
The project involved the following elements:
- A synthetic surfaced practice area with specialised perimeter safety netting and fencing; this area will allow all year round practice. The practice area is made up of individual lanes or pens with run up space for bowling and batting practice. Safety nets will be provided between the lanes and above all lanes.
- A grass covered practice area with specialised perimeter safety netting and fencing. Like the synthetic practice area, this grass is made up of individual lanes for bowling and batting practice with run up space for bowling and batting practice. Safety nets will again be provided between the lanes and above all lanes.
- A 2500m2 grass covered fielding area for general open air practice.
- 6.2m high x 329 linear metres of perimeter safety fencing and ball stop netting to all practice areas.
- An access road from an existing road network within Sport Ireland Campus and a car park adjacent to the facility.
- An irrigation system to both the grass covered practice area and the grass fielding area.
- Landscaping to site.
- Site drainage including underground drainage to grass practice area as well as foul and surface water drainage.
- Supply and installation of two modified shipping containers.
The facility was officially opened for use by Cricket Ireland teams in August 2018, but worked continued on other parts of the project until completed later in the year.
This project was awarded an Award of Merit in the Sportsground category at the prestigious 2019 ALCI Landscape Awards.